Call Penn Forest now at 412-265-4606 and ask to speak to Laura. She will need to know the name, address, phone number, date of birth and date of death of the deceased and whether you are working with a funeral home or need our help in finding a funeral director who has green burial expertise. We will also want to set up a time when the family can come to Penn Forest to select a lot, approximately when you want the burial to take place and what sort of graveside service you’d like, if any.
When you visit Penn Forest with our burial coordinator, they will tell you about our six disposition choices:
- Sequential Lot burial in a 4’ x 8’ grave – Penn Forest selects the grave site,
- Select Lot burial in a 4’ x 8’ grave – the family selects the grave site,
- Burial of cremated remains in a 2’ x 2’ grave,
- Treemation (where the cremated remains are buried underneath a native tree of your choice),
- Cremated remains scattering,
- Second Rite of Interment Burial (where the cremated remains from a previous death are included with either a Sequential or Select Lot burial).
Our burial coordinator will explain the differences in costs for these five options and costs for our burial interment fees. This information can also be found here on this website.
If you need help finding a funeral home, we can help you with that as well. Or you can look here on this website for a list of Green Burial Council certified funeral homes.
Let us know if you want to have a graveside service and what specific elements might be included in that service. It is likely that the exact elements and order of service will be refined over the next few hours or days. We are a nondenominational cemetery and honor all religious traditions.
Finally, the family will be asked to sign an interment order which gives us permission to dig the grave, sign a sales agreement that will include all costs, and accept a check or credit card for payment. Grave markers can be ordered during this visit or at a later date.
No question is too big or too small; start by calling now, 412-265-4606. We are more than happy to help you through this process.